Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Coba Ruins


The third day we were in Mexico, we booked an excursion to go the Mayan Ruins at Coba. The day included a trip to the ruins with a guide who was actually Mayan. That may not sound that special but he was able to give us a lot more info about the ruins and their customs, some of which they still practice. Next year the largest pyramid will no longer be open to climb. Fortunately we have now climbed Chitzen Itza and Coba, one which is already closed. Coba is the largest of the pyramids. It is 42 meters to climb, but well worth the view as you can see from the photos. This area was home to about 50,000 people from about 400 AD to 1200AD. We also visited an actual Mayan Community which was very humbling. It really reminded me how blessed we are in how we live but more importantly that Christ has called me to be his, and that I was born to a family that were believers. While there I got to try my hand making corn tortillas. I did terrible when it came to shaping it, but it tasted good. At the end of the day we were able to swim in a senote and do a little snorkeling. It was a full and tiring day, but one I won't forget for sure.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: