Sunday, May 22, 2011

Gardening 101


For those of you who are gardeners, I must admit this is the first garden I have planted...that is at least since I was Katies age. My parents have a garden plot, but had decided not to plant one lately since they don't use enough of it due to being gone so often. I have wanted a garden the last few years, but didn't have the area to plant one, nor the know how of where to start. This year, we have a happy compromise. Mom and Dad helped Katie and I plant a garden which we will share. Dad will rotatill it and I will weed and care for it during the week, and then we can all use the produce. So on the menu this year is potatos (of course), carrots, peas, beans, zucchini, beets, onions, spinach and pumpkins which were planted at my grandma's due to lack of room. Katie was dying to help, I believe it was in January when she wanted to see the garden and we pointed to a corner that was covered in snow like everywhere else. She has been very patient, but still doesn't understand that it takes time to grow. I am very excited about this and will let you know in the fall how it has all gone.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

The Neufelds said...

Love it! David planted carrots just before the long weekend. A few days ago I asked him to go get the watering can so that he could water his carrots and he said "AGAIN!?!" Looks like a nice size garden.